Sponsor Your Spouse

Sponsor your Spouse, Common-Law or Conjugal partner for Canadian Permanent Residence

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouse (including common-law or conjugal partner), or dependent child to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. Both the sponsor and the sponsored person must meet certain requirements to qualify.

If you’re a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, and you’re looking to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, we can help. We’ll assess you and your spouse to determine your eligibility.

Who Can Sponsor?

You are eligible to sponsor your Spouse or Common-Law Partner if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old (age of majority)
  • You’re a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show your intention to relocate to Canada with your partner after sponsoring them
    • Permanent residents must be living in Canada to sponsor their partner
  • You can prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • You can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
Financial Undertaking

As a Sponsor, you must undertake to be financially responsible of the person you are sponsoring for 3 years, starting from the day they become a Permanent Resident. This undertaking must continue even if:

  • You separate from your partner
  • Your partner becomes a Canadian citizen
  • You withdraw your request after the person becomes a Permanent Resident
  • You face unforeseen financial circumstances

As a Sponsor, you agree to provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members. Only in unique circumstances is there income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. There are a number of reasons a Canadian Permanent Resident or Citizen cannot Sponsor their partner, including: Being previously Sponsored as a Spouse or Partner in the past 5 years, Receive social assistance (other than for disability), Declared Bankruptcy and are not discharged, Plus many more reasons that we’ll be sure to go over with you.

Want to Sponsor Your Spouse or Appeal a Sponsorship Refusal?

We’re available and we offer free consultations.

In-Land Sponsorship

If you and your Spouse are already living in Canada, you can sponsor them through the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class. The current average processing time for this class of application is approximately 12 Months, which is subject to change at any time. The person you are sponsoring must have legal temporary status in Canada at the time they receive Permanent Residency. During processing, the applicant can apply for an open-work permit.

Outland Sponsorship

If you are living in Canada, but your Spouse is not, you can sponsor them through the Family Class Program. They may be required to attend an interview at a Visa Office outside of Canada. The current processing time for this application is approximate 12 months, subject to change at any time. If your partner is currently in Canada, but wishes to travel abroad while their application is in process, you may opt to apply under the Family Class Program instead.

Open-Work Permit Application – In-land Sponsorship

We can include an Open Work Permit application with your Spousal Sponsorship application. This will allow your Spouse or Partner to work in Canada on an Open-Work Permit while their application is being processed.

Start the process today, get in touch with us!

Was Your Sponsorship Application Refused? We Can Help!

Frequently Asked Questions
Who qualifies as a common-law partner, eligible for Sponsorship?

Someone who has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, without any long periods apart. If either of you left your home it must be for family obligations, work or business travel. Any time spent living apart must be short and temporary. Common-law relationships can be unilaterally ended.

Do I automatically become a Canadian citizen if I marry a Canadian citizen?

No. You must first apply to become a Permanent Resident. Only after you have fulfilled the requirements of Citizenship as a Permanent Resident, can you become a citizen.

Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.